The Lord's Prayer 1 - Father, our Father.

 


The Return of The Prodigal Son - Rembrandt

Until very recently, almost everyone could recite the “Lord’s Prayer”, usually in the King James’ Bible or Book of Common Prayer versions. TV and Cinema use it as the go-to prayer when characters are required to pray as they also use Psalm 23 as the only Bible reading anyone seems to know! Today’s generations, however, are generally ignorant of both these ubiquitous texts. 

For me, having started my journey of faith in the Church of England, both these texts are, if anything, too familiar. The Pater Noster of pre-Vatican II Roman Catholic liturgy, then the "Our Father" of Anglican and Protestant traditions became a rote-recited prayer devoid of personal meaning and significance. Evangelical Fundamentalist and Charismatic-style congregations dismissed (and mostly still dismiss) it, along with the whole BCP/Liturgy thing as "mumbled repetition" after Jesus' dismissal, recorded in Matthew 6:7, "When you pray, don't babble on and on as the Gentiles [non-believers] do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again."

I was of that same opinion for a long time until I began to realise that I, along with these groups, did exactly the same thing in our own way. (Listen, carefully, to the majority of prayers in a typical Prayer Meeting and see if this is not, indeed, the case!) Of course, Jesus was highlighting an element of fear-based religion(s) (as well as witchcraft) that depend upon ignorance, superstition and repeated incantations to curry favour with God, "the gods" or, indeed, demonic spirits, to calm those fears. It's as effective as whistling in the dark, in other words!

It matters that Jesus said this because his ministry and preaching were all about Good News (the gospel) of the imminent Kingdom of Heaven  and the uniting through and in Himself of all humankind to His Father in heaven. ("God was in Christ," Paul writes, "reconciling the world to Himself.") Part of Jesus' prayer in John 17:20-21 says "I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me."

2,000 years on and we seem no nearer to seeing and experiencing the answer to that prayer, don’t we?

One of the un-anticipated blessings for me of returning to the Church of England and the Anglican, liturgical tradition, has been regaining not only the familiarity of the liturgical text, but also a deeper integration with it, immersion in it, and inspiration from it. None more so than with the “Lord’s Prayer.” The more I recite it: slowly, intentionally, meditatively sometimes, the more its spirit works in me, day after day.

To unbalance us a little from the well-worn grooves of our mental recording of the text, I am going to cite David Bently-Hart’s The New Testament translation (hereafter referred to as DBH):

Our Father who are in the heavens,

 let your name be held holy;

let your kingdom come;

let your will come to pass,

as in heaven so also upon the earth;

Give us today bread for the day ahead;

And excuse us our debts, just as we have excused our debtors;

And do not bring us to trial,

But rescue us from him who is wicked.

(David Bentley-Hart, Yale, 2017)

 

As in Latin, so also in Greek, the prayer actually begins “Father, our Father…” For us moderns, this opening address is fraught with distress and difficulty. Despite adding “who are in the heavens,” which might successfully – and safely - distance this “Father” from us, that actually compounds the problem. As, even today, most Christians adhere to a Platonic, pagan belief in God as a distant and removed (and probably disapproving) figure, “up” in some other “place” which we call “Heaven” we are not off to a good start if we are trying to engage with “God”. This dilemma I will address next time. For now, we need to focus on “Father, our Father”.

Fatherhood, and more often, the absence (physically and/or emotionally) of good, trustworthy father-figures means identifying, accepting and loving God as a father presents so many of us with profound psychological, emotional and spiritual issues.

In an interview with Krista Tippett for her On Being podcast in 2017, Franciscan Friar, Richard Rohr talked about his work with men, in particular: …And the rage in the young male who never had a dad or had an alcoholic father or emotionally unavailable father or abusive father is bottomless. It’s just — it moves out toward all of society, a mistrust of all authority, all authority figures, all policemen, of course, because — “If my dad abandoned me, I just basically don’t trust older men, and I don’t like older men.”

Now you can see what a bind this put us in when we defined God as masculine and called God “Father” exclusively. That’s one metaphor, but it is a metaphor. And so, people who never had a loving male in their life, and we come along and say, “God, the Father, loves you,” they have no outlet to plug into…

Most of the men’s work Rohr has done has involved, first-of-all, mental and emotional healing with regards to broken, painful, non-existent, or even dangerous father-son relationships, in particular. Furthermore, he concludes that “when positive masculine energy is not modelled from father to son, it creates a vacuum in the souls of men, and into that vacuum demons pour.”

My father was a family doctor (GP), well-liked with a state, then private-sector consultancy that lasted into his seventies. He was always busy, often out of the house during “office hours” (surgery) or doing home visits. He was on a rota for weekend cover as well. That’s not untypical for a country GP. Also typical for his profession, but not exclusive, was an emotional distance that included his family and especially, his children. Although he was never violent, thankfully, this did me and my sisters no favours, whatsoever. In my case it inevitably led to abandonment, acceptance and approval issues that created a desperation to perform well for signs of favour, while also rendering me incapable for a long, long time of empathy and healthy relationships. I developed what is now called Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), which is still creating some problems for me (and my siblings) to this day.

To have a “father” who is rarely available to you, spends no quality time with you, and from whom you have never had a warm embrace or kiss, heard the simple words “I love you,” or “Well done!” is to become someone who distrusts elders or authority figures, has warped concepts of fatherhood and experiences profound loneliness and self-rejection, making friendships and emotional vulnerability almost impossible to establish, nurture and sustain. Externally, it creates gregarious, ‘charismatic’ leadership types who often succeed in the socially responsible professions such as lawyers, teachers, CEOs, entrepreneurs, pastors, preachers, vicars, cardinals, and bishops - and not a few Popes. Personality Cult-leaders too. 

It has taken me years – decades – to not only address and appreciate God as Father, but even more of God’s love and graceful reassurance that I am Beloved, to bring me to a safe and comfortable place where I can address Him as Abba, which is even more than our translation as “Papa” implies. In our family we called my father “Daddy”, so you can imagine my almost pathological inability to call my heavenly Father by that iteration of Abba. I have come to a compromise, however, as a result of time lived in France (and fluency in the language, so Papa is OK for me), and, more recently, in Turkey where I picked up Baba from the Arabic form of Abba. (In fact, the word "Baba" means "Dad" in many languages, including Turkish, Urdu, Persian and some Slavic languages.) This has now become a means of greater intimacy between me and our heavenly father and has deeply enriched my prayer conversation.



In his book Experiencing Father’s Embrace, (Destiny Image Publishers, Inc. 2002) the late Jack Frost writes concerning those with “passive” (emotionally distant) father experience: “When relating to God, you often will have a mental or intellectual assent to the gospel, but you rarely let Father touch your heart and truly taste His love. You know God loves you, but from afar, distant, and impersonal.” (Op. Cit. p118)

Concerning healing, letting go of your preconceptions (and experience) of “father” he says: “When we release our earthly fathers and begin to come to the Father as a little child in need of a father’s love, we will begin to receive increasing revelation of Father God’s love that is more powerful than any father issues we have carried through life. He will not ignore your cry for a father. No longer will you have to surrender yourself to the wounds within your father’s house, for Father God is calling you to come home to Him.” (p 122)

I recommend meditating on the following scriptures: Ps.27:10; 68:5-6; Hos.14:3-4; John 14: 18,21,23; 16:27.

Perhaps Jack Frost’s prayer suggestion could help you:

Father God, I come to you in Jesus’ name. Thank You that the door to your house is always open to me and that I do not have to fear your loving presence. You tell me in Psalm 45:10-11 to let go of my identity that is in my father’s house so that I can enter into the fullness of Your love. I come to You for your help so that I can release and forgive my father.

Having worked humbly - and with great relief (I imagine) - through this prayer, you may want to go further in the healing process and repent (change your thinking about) the wrong doctrines, ideas or impositions you had held on to, for whatever reason.

Father God, I come before you today and humbly ask You to forgive me for judging You wrongly and allowing misrepresentations of who You are to affect my perceptions of You. I have allowed religion, that is based on performance, and fear to colour my thoughts towards you. I have sought to please You and gain Your acceptance through my good works. I thought You were angry with me and disappointed in me because I wasn’t good enough to deserve Your love. My focus has been on religion and my performance instead of on my relationship with You. Please help me gain a new understanding of Your unconditional love for me. Now I bring to the cross all of those who misrepresented to me Your character as a loving Father. I choose to forgive anyone who gave me a false impression of who You are. I understand now that You are not angry with me, but You are longing for deep fellowship with me because You love me so much.  Help me to realise this fully and share it with everyone I meet. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Oh Father, our Father!

Go well in His love.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts