Well, Now It’s Confirmed…

 


( Norwich Cathedral)

…I am officially recognised as a member of the Church of England.  This fact is as much a surprise to me as it may be to anyone who has known me over the years, and especially those who had me pegged as some kind of Evangelical Charis-maniac, with mystical leanings, mixed with a certain theological nerdiness. Indeed, I have been known to be quite intolerant of institutionalised religion: its “dressing up,” professional priests, mindless repetitions (aka “Liturgy”!) and its determination to recreate the Temple worship in form and function, with the C of E high on my ecclesiological hit-list, and so, spent many years in the wastelands of Evangelical, Pentecostal and Charismatic forms of church and worship. Until I didn’t - and went abroad (to France and Turkey) for a total of 25 years, during which time I deliberately had nothing to do with Christians, churches of any stripe; or God, for that matter.


(The Return of The Prodigal - Rembrandt)

But God never stopped having something to do with me. That’s a bit of another story which I might, one day, relate. The tale I am telling today is more specific in that it concerns how, and why, last night I was standing for over two hours in Norwich Cathedral.

Let me just set a marker here and say that I have had an especial fondness for Norwich Cathedral for many years, though I could not quite put my finger on why, or what particularly attracts me about it, compared to, say, other great cathedrals I enjoy being in such as Canterbury, Chester (moody and ruddy though it is!), Peterborough, Ely, and Rochester, this latter in which I spent a great deal of my childhood.

I think Suzy Watson does a pretty good job of bringing out the uniqueness of Norwich Cathedral, on her blog Explore Norfolk.Co.UK. “Norwich Cathedral is the most magnificent, stunning, inspiring and breath-taking example of a place of worship that I have come across,” she writes, “and it’s no wonder that it rates as Norfolk’s favourite building. I’ve visited a few cathedrals in my time, but this one really does beat them all…Situated in the middle of Norwich UK, it’s the most complete Norman Cathedral in England.

Even so, I wasn’t expecting quite what I experienced this Holy Saturday as I joined some 20 or more, mostly much younger, candidates for confirmation. And hundreds of worshippers!


(Crucifix in The Cloister - Norwich Cathedral)

I am sitting just inside the West Door, initially, as we all were, waiting to be rehearsed through the various stages of the ceremony and the Service of “The Easter Vigil with Holy Baptism, Confirmation and the First Eucharist of Easter,” as it states on our Order of Service. This, apparently, is a Norwich Diocese Tradition, as they like to bring all of Norfolk’s parishes’ confirmation candidates together for a mass confirmation as part of the conclusion to Holy Week.

It is twilight in the Cathedral as there are only a minimum of uplighters refracting from the roof and pillars. The residual light is from a number of candles. It is silent, soft, strangely spiritual, and almost soporific – except my heart is beating just a bit too fast to actually doze off. If I listen carefully, I’m sure I can hear fellow confirmers Freya and Regan’s, as well as other, nearby hearts, notched up a little in tempo, too.

The rehearsal is, well, well-rehearsed, as you can imagine, as the Cathedral, anyway, does not like to leave anything to chance or to get out of control! Nor do they want any of us to be lost, worried, or unprepared, such is their kindness and consideration. We have been taken to the big copper font (formerly two chocolate-making vats from the long-closed down Rowntree factory, where two of us will be baptized) and then on to the altar, where we will be confirmed, and then further still, under the Organ, through the Choir Stalls and, finally, to the Communion Rail before the Great Altar. All this in the womblike embrace of a hushed and dusky cathedral.

I can hear her breathe, reassuringly.

I have never experienced anything like this in my life, and I am soaking it all up to hold and cherish in my body for ever. Her perfume will remain an olfactory memory for life.

I am here because I have been called, I am pretty sure by God, to seek training to become a Licensed Lay Minister (LLM) in the Church of England at St Peter’s in Sheringham. To be eligible, I have to have been baptized (any proof of baptism is acceptable, such as in a Baptist Church or similar) but confirmed in the Church of England. Having sorted out the proof of baptism, it remained for me to be confirmed in order to tick all the boxes of ‘legal’ requirements towards consideration for ordination, or training into ministry.


(Bishop Graham Usher's enthronement - Norwich Cathedral 2020)

At eight o’clock, precisely, the Bishop of Norwich, the choir and assorted clergy rustle up in silence and take up their positions. We’re off! The deacon prays, then the bishop, after which prayer he incants a Blessing of The New Fire (which I have never witnessed) upon which a kind of fire pit (as it looks like) erupts in an upward jet of flame that will burn thus throughout most of the proceedings. It is as startling and impressive as the columns of fire you see at sports events or some Pop concerts. It reminds me of the column of fire that guided the Israelites through the nights in the Wilderness.

And then I’m on.

I had accepted the invitation to read in the service, and discovered I would be first, with a long passage from Genesis relating the Creation story. I have prayed about this moment; I have prepared with a couple of run-throughs at home to decide upon a tone, a pace, a rhythm, a spirit. This is where the atmosphere, for me, changes. I am aware of the nearest faces of my confirmation colleagues, glowing softly in the candlelight; I can barely make out the faces of the front row of the congregation – the rest are a tangible presence but otherwise invisible in the vast, hushed universe that is this extraordinary space.



I begin, at The Beginning:

               “In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the waters…”

 

And so on until the final line of the section I am to read, “These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created.” Stop.

A calm, deep inspiration.

I regain my seat.

Something has happened - and I will remember it for the rest of my days. As I began to read - the acoustics echoing the words through time and this vast, bated space, enabled by an extraordinarily sophisticated sound system - I sensed Another Presence regulating my voice, my breathing, my sounds, and my silences. Dare I write this? – it was as real and as remarkable as I imagine it was in the synagogue, the day Jesus began to read: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor…” It was the Holy Spirit among us: there is no other explanation, and the surprises went further as total strangers stopped me afterwards, to thank me and to testify to the effect the reading had had upon them. This is the glory, grace and goodness of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit whose “word goes forth and shall not return from the earth void, or without accomplishing the purpose for which it [He!] was sent.”


(Unique Font* - Norwich Cathedral)

I experienced the rest of the Service: the baptism, at which the bishop invited us to dip our fingers in the font and mark the cross on our foreheads as a reminder of our own baptism; the prayer and laying on of the bishop’s hands as he officially confirmed us; the long, yet impressive ‘feasting’ on the Bread and the Wine – the memorials of Christ Jesus’ Body and Blood – not to mention the fabulous choir and their motivating joy, beauty, and skill in singing, as well as the huge sound-scape from the mighty, magical,  recently restored and rebuilt organ.

Some of the details may well fade; but many of them won’t. Despite assurances from the various clergy, the laying on of hands will not be especially remembered. More likely, the images of such breathtaking beauty of this “our” Cathedral in all her grandeur and mystery, as well as the sights, sounds and smells – including much incense! – of the evening. Not least, that dramatic moment as the bishop made the three-fold declaration in a rising crescendo: “Alleluia! Christ is risen,” and we all respond, “He is risen indeed. Alleluia!” Then the organ sounds, the bells ring, the church is flooded in light, the fire extinguished and the choir sings Gloria in Excelsis! And then, on towards the thunderous final hymn: “Thine be The Glory, risen, conquering Son!”


(Newly restored and rebuilt Organ)

Yet, in all that symphony of sound, shade, spotlights, and sensations, I can – and always will – sense the shimmering subtlety of the Holy Spirit speaking, singing, sighing, shouting, and sending us, at last, on our way, rejoicing.

PS: I am so grateful to St Peter’s LLM, Julie Rubidge, who midwifed me over many months to this moment, and who will, God willing, continue to mentor me through the LLM process; and to Chris Rees (lucky husband of St Peter’s, Sheringham Curate, Revd Christina Rees) through whose lifetime experience as a producer of religious radio programmes for the BBC, was able to give me some necessary and much appreciated  coaching in public reading during the months I was reading in church before this (unexpected) event.

*The Font is used for the Christian rite of Baptism, but once upon a time, Norwich Cathedral’s Font was actually two copper bowls used for manufacturing toffee at Rowntree Mackintosh chocolate factory in Norwich! The bowls were gifted to the Cathedral in 1994 when the factory closed.

Comments

Popular Posts