Being Beloved

 

A few years ago, when I was on Twitter, I shared some thoughts with Nadia Bolz-Webber in response to a sermon of hers I had watched on You Tube. We exchanged some Tweets and then, out of the blue sometime later, she sent me some words of encouragement based on Jeremiah 29: 11-14a, “‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not calamity to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek Me, and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart, I will be found by you…’” She doesn’t know me personally, nor do I her, but prophetically she was spot-on! That time, that moment, that period of concern and uncertainty in my life needed addressing. The Holy Spirit addressed it through Her daughter, Nadia. I remember them every day.


Nadia Bolz-Webber

If you follow my writing here, you will know that I am especially fond of Henri Nouwen! I am now reading Spiritual Direction, a post-mortem collection of his many writings, notes, and journals compiled by former students of his, Michael Christensen and Rebecca Laird. (SPCK 2011)

                          For most of my life,” writes Nouwen, “I have struggled to find God, to know God, to love God. I have tried hard to follow the guidelines of the spiritual life – pray always, work for others, read the scriptures – and to avoid the many temptations to dissipate myself. I have failed many times but always tried again, even when I was close to despair.”

As you see above, I have had – and continue to have – this kind of experience and God graciously responds to my anxious cries of supplication. But Nouwen goes on to pose a profound question:

                          Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realised that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me. The question is not “How am I to find God?” but “How am I to let myself be found by God?” The question is not “How am I to know God?” but “How am I to let myself be known by God?” The question is not “How am I to love God?” but “How am I to let myself be loved by God?” And finally, the question is not “Who is God for me?” but “Who am I to God?””

After the catastrophe of Adam and Eve’s deception and consequent disobedience (an un-hearing of God!), they realised their naked vulnerability and exposure. And God comes looking for them! “Then the LORD called to the man, and said to him, ‘Where are you?’” (Gen.3:9) Eventually, God became man in Jesus, the Anointed One, answered His own question (“You have always been with me. All I am and all I have, has always been yours.” See Luke 15:31) and confirmed that separation is a lie, and that God has always been closer to us than our breath. What we need to do is “repent” – turn around - and face The One who never left us. Jesus was never about changing God’s mind about us! He was, and is always, for changing our minds about God. “Do not be conformed to this age [– this system of thinking and behaving –] but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may approve what is the good, acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)

Paul is even clearer about the intimate imminence of God to us (Romans 10: 6-8)! But the righteousness based on faith speaks as follows: “DO NOT SAY IN YOUR HEART, ‘WHO WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), or ‘WHO WILL DESCEND INTO THE ABYSS?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).”  But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching…”

This is the God who has engraved our names on the palms of His hands; this is the Mother, Who can never abandon or forget her children!



“I am my Beloved’s and His desire is for me.” (SoS. 7:10)

Our heavenly Father came looking for you and me from the very first day we gave thought to our situation. Though, when He asked you (and me) “Where are you?” it wasn’t like He didn’t know! It is a rhetorical question that requires us to confess our loss, our seeing-yet-blindness, and our nakedness. How blessed are we, that despite everything, God - Father, Son and Holy Mother Spirit – has never stopped being with us and tenderly asking us that question, so that we might be reassured as to where, exactly, we are: in Them!

Henri Nouwen recommends a 30-minute meditation in order that we might be re-orientated as to who, and where We are. I suggest also a slow, mindful read through Song of Solomon taking both lovers’ parts one after the other. Our oneness with Jesus will become so real to us.

So, for Nouwen, it is crucial to our ultimate affirmation to truly identify ourselves in and as the Beloved. He takes us through The Beloved’s Prayer, a meditation composed by Arthur LeClair. We can do this in solitude, with a spiritual director/friend, or with an intimate prayer or cell group. He advises us to

                          - Sit relaxed and at ease. Have confidence that God’s love will show itself in some way. For the first ten minutes say the following words slowly and fervently:

                          Jesus, you are The Beloved.

Repeat as necessary, allowing your heart to fill with non-verbal praise and thanksgiving. Be with Jesus!

Paul reminds us in Romans 9:25, (quoting Hosea2:23) ‘I will call those who were not My people, “My people,” and her who was not beloved, “Beloved”.’ For the next ten minutes, repeat as seems good:

                          Jesus, I am the Beloved.

This may shock some of us, but resting in the love and presence of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, allow this wonderful truth to infuse you.

For the final ten minutes, connect with all humanity as you repeat, according to your spirit:

                          Jesus, we (all) are the Beloved.

For this time, let people come into your heart and awareness: a neighbour, a friend, family, someone who has come to your attention somehow. Exclude no-one, especially those you find difficulty with and even the one you perceive as your enemy.

Conclude in thanksgiving and maybe your own rendering of the “Lord’s Prayer.” It has been testified to by many that this 30-minute meditation inspires deep healing, as well as grounding you in a clearer understanding of your place in the universe. It is a profound exposure to deep Truth that, as often as it is repeated, will bear prolific fruit and confirm you as the “apple of [God’s] eye.”

Our “journey” is more of an expedition to the centre of our Being, where God - I am - is. And where your True Self is, too. Remember, that it is Christ in you that is your hope – and the hope of us all. A reading of Psalm 51:6 could give us: Behold, Your desire is the Truth of our innermost Being [– our True Self -] and in that hidden [secret] place, You will teach me Wisdom.”

Go well, fellow Wayfarers! Next time we will explore that infamous “Lord’s Prayer”!

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts